incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Airavata 0.2-Incubating RC5
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2012 20:35:20 GMT
I've reviewed this SNAPSHOT release candidate primarily on compliance and
completeness of the L&N files as requested.

One other thing I noticed: the README points to http://www.airavata.org

Seems like the www.airavata.org domain is under control of this project as it
does renders as a frameset pointing to the official airavata incubator site.
I'm curious what the ASF policy is on such separate project related domains? And
especially with respect to ownership/control of it. Who actually does own this
domain? Should this be a concern to the ASF?

Now concerning the -src and -bin release candidates and the L&N files, I think
this has been greatly improved since the last candidate.
Kudos everyone who helped with this: quite a lot of work!

But I can't help it to point out a few remaining quirks :)

* source NOTICE and LICENSE file seem fine by me ;)

* binary LICENSE file
- it contains some duplications of the same (set of) licenses, I think starting
on line # 2085: "APACHE JACKRABBIT SUBCOMPONENTS"
Actually that part which follows and which possible has been copied from a
Jackrabbit provided LICENSE file is a bit more nicely formatted (e.g. like for
the javax.jcr part).
- I haven't checked if *every* bundled jar is now properly covered in the
LICENSE file (where applicable) but with the size (2k+ lines) and coverage of
the LICENSE file I kind of now 'trust' they are ;)

* binary NOTICE file
- I think there are some unneeded/unwanted entries still. Some notices and
copyright statements should not legally be needed nor are they requested.
For instance for BSD/MIT like licenses which already are provided for verbatim
in the LICENSE file itself, there is no need to (and thus should not) be covered
*also* in the NOTICE file. Having those in the LICENSE file should be enough.
And certainly so if the 3rd party artifact doesn't have or require an explicit
NOTICE file itself. I think this applies to the NOTICE entries for SLF4J, DOM4J,
ICU4J, Jettison, etc. Please do check if each of these notices really are
necessary/required.

- A different thing is the NOTICE provided for commons-logging (1.1.1).
The commons-logging jar come with a NOTICE file of its own (being an ASF release
it should). But IMO the additional content copied verbatim from that NOTICE file
can be ignored and thus removed. It concerns the following section:

   This product includes/uses software(s) developed by 'an unknown organization'
   - Unnamed - avalon-framework:avalon-framework:jar:4.1.3
   - Unnamed - log4j:log4j:jar:1.2.12
   - Unnamed - logkit:logkit:jar:1.0.1

Only log4j is actually bundled with airavata and as an ASF artifact doesn't need
extra NOTICE coverage. And as the other referenced artifacts aren't included or
used there is no need to 'honor' this part from the common-logging NOTICE file.
The ASL 2.0 license sections 4.d) says: "[...], excluding those notices that do
not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works."

Another thing I noticed in the binary distribution: some of the samples included
come with both src and (maven build) target folders, for example the
/samples/complex-math-service as well as a few others.
You might consider cleaning this up a bit further.
In addition, those samples modules also have additional NOTICE and LICENSE files
in their src/main/resources folders, but AFAIK these are not or no longer
used/bundled in the build artifact. Possibly outdated/leftover?

IMO none of the above really are release blockers, so my overall impression:
awesome work guys!

Regards, Ate