incubator-general mailing list archives

From Vinayak Borkar <vbo...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: VXQuery status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "April2012" by TillWestmann)
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 22:52:13 GMT
Hi Jukka,

We in the VXQuery trenches need some help with growing the community. We
understand the technical aspects of implementing the XQuery engine, but
need some guidance with community building.

With respect to the system we are in a catch-22 situation. We feel that
some part of the system needs to exist and work before we can bring
on-board a community and we are not quite there. At the same time, we
need pairs of hands to help build out that core part of the system that
will attract a community.

I do believe that the new focus on big-data will indeed attract a
community once we have something up and running.

On other issue is that the committers of VXQuery are working on this
project out of personal interest and have no agency that is funding its
development. As a result, we work on this after our day jobs and so
progress is slow.

My day-job is at a university where I meet students with various
interests. The GSoC project proposals were done with the aim of using
students for the summer (with funding by Google through GSoC), to work
on bootstrapping the VXQuery project so it gets into a functional state.

I do agree that GSoC is not our method to grow a community.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Vinayak