incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Extraordinary OpenOffice security patch (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "April2012" by robweir)
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 19:01:46 GMT
Oh, and I communicated to another podling (via their podling-private@ ) whose PPMC I am not
on that they might want to pay attention to this vulnerability as well, and that was apparently
valuable input.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:55
To: 'general@incubator.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Extraordinary OpenOffice security patch (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "April2012"
by robweir)

@Rob,

In fact, I posted to ooo-dev and ooo-users information on the significance of the vulnerability
and ways to mitigate it.

I was unsuccessful in posting instructions, after several failed attempts, for applying the
patch on Windows XP where the dialogs are different and have different consequences than described
in the Windows-patch PDF, which gives instructions for Windows 7.  (This has to do with an
over-zealous spam filter on our lists and I could not get around it.)  I have however put
what I could on the Media Wiki as the basis for a possible FAQ, using
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Talk:Documentation/FAQ/Installation/How_Can_I_Install_the_Security_Patch_(CVE-2012-0037)>.

I can't do anything about the fact that the need for a Linux patch has not been resolved.
 I can't do anything about the fact that the patch requires the confidence and experience
of a power user to apply on any platform.  I understand why that is; I can't do anything about
it myself beyond attempt to provide supporting information and supplementary instructions.

And I, am, of course, a volunteer here.

I also don't see what that has to do with the relationship between the PPMC and ooo-security.
 That's about getting many eyes, not about where orcmid might exercise his heroic super powers.

 - Dennis