incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Simplifying podling infra
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:52:02 GMT
Hi,

Currently new podlings have most of their infrastructure (lists, web
site, svn, etc.) set up under incubator.apache.org and
repos/asf/incubator. As a consequence they need to perform an extra
infrastructure migration when they graduate. IMHO that's one infra
migration too much.

Would it make sense for us to allow podlings to be set up at their
expected TLP locations right from the beginning? The IPMC would still
be ultimately responsible for overseeing all these locations and we'd
still expect the standard incubator disclaimers to be in place (we
might even ask for extra ones in list footers, etc. if needed). If a
podling ends up being retired or graduating into a subproject of
another TLP, then an extra migration step would still be needed but
the difference to status quo would be minimal.

The downside of this change would be that the term "incubator" would
become less prominent in the day-to-day operations of a podling. The
upside would be reduced infra overhead, less community trouble caused
by migrations and simplified incubation documentation (no need to
distinguish between podling and TLP state in so many places).

WDYT? If there's interest (and not many objections), we could try out
the idea with a few upcoming podlings to see how it works in practice.

BR,

Jukka Zitting