incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Binary dependencies in source releases (Was: [VOTE] Release ManifoldCF 0.5-incubating, RC0)
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:46:57 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> Me not happy.  This is not any individual's fault, least of all Jukka,
> and certainly not a fault of the ManifoldCF podling that is going through
> this fun precisely to learn how to create an Apache release.  It is an
> institutional fault.  We need to separate our policy docs into example
> procedures and basic principles.  The former are ways to do things right
> that can be improved upon over time.  The latter are requirements established
> by the membership of the ASF, enshrined in our corporate mission, and
> enforced by the board of directors.

Agreed.

Since this is a significant issue with a major impact on many TLPs, I
think it would be useful to have a board resolution that clarifies the
issue and what should be done about it. Anyone willing to draft one?

I'd also like to see a wider discussion about this, involving at least
legal, infra, and the affected TLPs. What should be done about past
releases? How does this affect documentation under
www.apache.org/legal? etc. Anyone willing to drive this?

BR,

Jukka Zitting