incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject Re: Isis status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "March2012" by DanHaywood)
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 14:04:27 GMT
Hi Jukka,
Thanks for that; not sure that we're any sort of poster child, though,
because our community still remains too small for comfort.  Still, we do
our best.

In terms of community building, the things we're doing divide into would-be
user and would-be contributors:

For would-be users, we:

* try to ensure at least one blog post a week from someone in the community
that is related to the project, so that people hopefully stumble up the
project
* advertise said blog posts via twitter (obviously) and dzone.com (or
choose your preferred aggregator)
* cross post any announcements, eg releases, to blog.apache.org
* do the occasional talks or conferences (even a lightning talk helps)
* look out for any mention of the project on twitter, and engage in the
tweetee

and, we also:

* try to have a good website [1], that makes it clear what the project is
trying to solve
* try to put out regular releases, so that it's obvious that the project is
alive (hmm: must do better on this)
* have an online demo [2], to see what the project does first-hand
* have a good and hopefully not-too-complex Maven archetype [3], to try out
the project easily
* have screencasts to see in more detail what the project does (though
we've currently removed them since they were a bit out of date)
* be polite and welcoming on the users mailing list
* making it clear what documentation exists and does not [4], so would-be
users don't get frustrated as they delve deeper
* have presentation materials [5,6,7,8] to allow would-be evangelists to do
their own talks about the project

For would-be contributors, we:

* have a good contributors guide [9], so they know what's expected of them
* tag some Jira issues as "newbie" [10] so that would-be contributors can
pick them up and tackle them  (need to add a link to our site for this)
* will ask people on the users mailing list if they would like to consider
contributing

We also have a book or two [11,12] about earlier versions of the project,
though of course, going to the lengths of writing a book is only something
that you'd need to be certifiable to do.

In terms of how that's worked, well... all I can say is that it seems to be
a slow process.  Our project is quite divisive; some people love it, and
many others don't take the time to grok it and dismiss it out of hand.
 Hence our recent work to make it easier for would-be users to grok what
the project can do for them.

I think the main thing I can advise is just to be patient.

Hope that's of use to some; and if anyone else has good ideas on community
building, would love to hear them

Dan

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/isis/
[2] http://mmyco.co.uk:8180/isis-onlinedemo/doc/index.html