incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Keeping an eye out for new committers
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:56:48 GMT
These look good and are a decent complement to
http://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html

If you have the time would you mind adding your notes there (all
committers have write access to the ComDev site via the ASF CMS)

Ross

On 16 March 2012 23:28, Alan Gates <gates@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Below is a generalized edition of an email I sent to the PPMC of one of the projects
I mentor (HCatalog).  Jukka asked me to send it on to general@.  Hopefully you will find
it useful.

> Alan.
>
> With my mentor hat on, this is a poke to remind you (the PPMC) that it's your job to
be on the lookout for contributors that may be ready to become committers.

> I look for several things when I consider making someone a committer:
>
> 1) Patches, are they contributing quality features and/or bug fixes. They don't have
to have written a new subsystem, but you want to look for patches that demonstrate understanding
in some area, not just spelling fixes in error messages, etc.  One good way to find what
patches a contributor has done is to look over the contributor report from JIRA.  You can
get this by going to your project's JIRA, and under the reports drop down on the right side,
click on "Contribution Report".

> 2) Emails, comments on JIRA, etc. giving others feedback, answering user questions, etc.
 Again you can use the contribution report to see JIRA comments.  You can find emails in
the mailing list archives for your project.

> 3) Is this person good to work with?  Do they give constructive feedback?  Do they
take feedback well?

> 4) Does this person seem likely to stay involved?  All Apache positions are volunteer
and so we can't ask people to sign up for a period of time or promise to be around forever.
 But if I sense that a contributor is just fixing one problem they need fixed, I usually
wait to see if they continue their involvement after that issue is addressed before nominating
them as a committer.

> Alan.

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)