incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: IP Clearance? NAK
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 03:49:23 GMT
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:28 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@apache.org> wrote:
> On 3/1/2012 9:08 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
>>
>> Why don't you stop with your passive-aggressive bullshit, and read the
>> thread over on legal-discuss where we talked about fixing the "short
>> form" IP Clearance process. The IP policies have not changed, but they
>> *should*, along the lines Roy suggests in that thread.
>
> Greg; Roy just stated, it's not applicable and invalid.

Please don't take a statement out of context and extrapolate from that
that a long standing policy is entirely not applicable and invalid.

If you interpret Roy's statement narrowly - i.e., that a contribution
that a committer claims is 100% their original work - needs no further
clearance, then that likely is something over which we can find
consensus.

If you interpret Roy's statement too liberally - i.e. that groups of
committers don't need to collaborate with the oversight of a PMC,
track who has contributed or who has not, or do their work using of
ASF infrastructure; for all we care they can simply reimport their
work wholesale when then wish to make an ASF release - then that is
not likely to fly.

I don't know what statement Roy is referring to, so I won't challenge
it directly.  Instead I will ask that people work together to find out
what processes are right for the ASF at this point in time, even if
these processes are different than the ones that we used 10, 5, or
even just 2 years ago.

- Sam Ruby