incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Binary dependencies in source releases (Was: [VOTE] Release ManifoldCF 0.5-incubating, RC0)
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:07:05 GMT
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...It seems like Roy is much more categorical about this. Assuming I
> understand his point correctly, *no* binary dependencies are
> acceptable within a source tarball.
>
> What I don't quite (yet) understand is how a reference like
> "junit:junit:4.10" to a download service maintained by a third party
> is more acceptable than directly including the referenced bits...

I think the difference is that by saying "get junit:junit:4.10 to
build this" we put the burden on our users to make sure they get the
right bits, either by building them themselves from the junit sources,
or trusting whoever provides them.

By shipping those bits ourselves instead, we would take the
responsibility on our shoulders, which we don't want.

-Bertrand