incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Flume status (Was: [Incubator Wiki] Update of "March2012" by ArvindPrabhakar)
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 03:55:37 GMT

On Mar 12, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Arvind Prabhakar <arvind@apache.org> wrote:
>> The main reason why we feel it is necessary for us to release from the
>> trunk is because up until now, our trunk contained sources in
>> com.cloudera.flume namespace which are not deprecated or transitioned
>> over to the new namespace. Very recently, we migrated our active
>> development branch (flume-728) to the trunk, moving the old trunk to
>> it's own dedicated branch (branch-0.9.5). Since then, the trunk
>> now contains sources in org.apache.flume namespace and we would
>> like to do a release from these sources.
>
> OK, cool.
>
>> Unless you mandate that we prioritize graduation over this
>> release, we would prefer to go with the release first.
>
> No worries, just proceed as you feel is best. :-)

Since you have been reading the dev list I am sure you are already aware, but as one of the
mentors I also consider this project ready for graduation.  While they perform their work
a little differently than in other projects I'm involved in, it seems to work for them.  The
community seems quiet healthy and I suspect that once they have more solid releases based
upon the current trunk the community is going to be quite active.

The one concern I do have is that there are some PPMC members who joined the project when
it started in the incubator who have never been heard from.  Is there any "normal" way of
handling that on graduation?  I would think at least asking them to confirm they would like
to be on the PMC after graduation would be appropriate.

Ralph