incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Request for an early review of an potential Apache OpenOffice release
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 06:38:17 GMT
On 3/28/12 9:22 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

>>> Right -- just with a few files moved around and a bunch filtered out.
>>
>> yes, we build the src release package as part of a normal build and I
>> exclude all svn fiels  + generated files during the build.
>
> FWIW, I like to start from an "svn export" of the release candidate tag so
> that there's no need to exclude version control files.
>
>>> Are you confident that all the files which match those wildcards were part
>>> of the Oracle SGA or are otherwise properly licensed for ASF usage?
>>
>> yes I think so, the rat exclude list is maintained mainly from somebody who
>> should know what's part of the SGA
>
> OK, good enough.  I'm not going to perform a low-level audit.  For this
> release, I trust the IP clearance process and the Mentors who supervised it.
> For future releases, the IP integrity of this codebase will be the ongoing
> responsibility of the AOO development community, and from what I can tell you
> folks have the expertise, the incentives, the desire and the habits to serve
> as good stewards.
>
> In my view, the process by which this prelimary release candidate was
> assembled was satisfactory.  Once the RAT report passes and once the
> LICENSE/NOTICE files have been worked out according to the plan proposed by
> Oliver-Rainer Wittmann on legal-discuss, I expect to vote +1 on a true AOO
> release candidate unless someone else catches something I missed.

We will definitely work on the RAT exclude file to split the wildcards
into smaller pieces with descriptions why these files are excluded. We
have simply so many files and as long as they are covered by the SGA we
thought we can start with this simplified approach. Much more work in
other real code areas was to do as well.

On the other hand I think it is very important that we bring a first
release on the road to show that the project exists and is living.

But overall I think we are on a good way.

Juergen