incubator-general mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Request for an early review of an potential Apache OpenOffice release
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2012 09:50:41 GMT
Hi,

the Apache OpenOffice podling project is moving forward to a first
release that is long expected by the OpenOffice.org community and users.

You know that Apache OpenOffice is the continuation of OpenOffice.org
and that the project is very huge, has a very long history and a very
huge user base all over the world.

IP clearance work to conform to Apache standards" or "to conform to the
Apache Way and we would like to get some early feedback if we are in
shape with the Apache guidelines for a potential release.

We have prepared developer snapshots over the past several weeks for our
project members to test and review. This developer snapshots can be
found under

Source package
http://people.apache.org/~jsc/developer-snapshots/src_releases/srcrelease.html

Binary package
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+Snapshots

The mac version is also signed and the check files can be found in the
download directory directly
http://people.apache.org/~jsc/developer-snapshots/macos/r1296433/

NOTE: Be careful with the binary packages and save your office user
profiles before testing. Existing OOo 3.x installations will be
overwritten. We provide full install sets to test system integration and
upgrades. Currently we are not able to migrate installed extensions. And
there won't be bundled dictionaries but you can download a dictionary
from the migrated extensions repository
(http://aoo-extensions.sourceforge.net/). But of course we are working
on this.

Please rename your user profile before testing our snapshot build, and
re-rename your user profile after reinstalling a stable OOo version.

Right now we are focusing on show stopper issues but nevertheless we
would like to invite you to review the source packages and also the
binary packages if they fulfill the Apache requirements (e.g license,
NOTICE, ...)

We know that we have no release candidate (RC) right now and that it
would require some work by you. But because of the complexity of the
project we would very much appreciate any kind of early feedback at this
time. And the main goal is to fix potential issues early and to save
time later on when we have a first RC in place.

On behalf of the Apache OpenOffice PPMC

Juergen