incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Keeping an eye out for new committers
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 23:28:06 GMT
Below is a generalized edition of an email I sent to the PPMC of one of the projects I mentor
(HCatalog).  Jukka asked me to send it on to general@.  Hopefully you will find it useful.

Alan.

With my mentor hat on, this is a poke to remind you (the PPMC) that it's your job to be on
the lookout for contributors that may be ready to become committers.

I look for several things when I consider making someone a committer:

1) Patches, are they contributing quality features and/or bug fixes. They don't have to have
written a new subsystem, but you want to look for patches that demonstrate understanding in
some area, not just spelling fixes in error messages, etc.  One good way to find what patches
a contributor has done is to look over the contributor report from JIRA.  You can get this
by going to your project's JIRA, and under the reports drop down on the right side, click
on "Contribution Report".

2) Emails, comments on JIRA, etc. giving others feedback, answering user questions, etc.
Again you can use the contribution report to see JIRA comments.  You can find emails in the
mailing list archives for your project.

3) Is this person good to work with?  Do they give constructive feedback?  Do they take feedback
well?

4) Does this person seem likely to stay involved?  All Apache positions are volunteer and
so we can't ask people to sign up for a period of time or promise to be around forever.  But
if I sense that a contributor is just fixing one problem they need fixed, I usually wait to
see if they continue their involvement after that issue is addressed before nominating them
as a committer.

Alan.