incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: TL;DR
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2012 18:45:15 GMT

On Feb 4, 2012, at 10:04 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> I'm a committer on 3 incubator projects, so I have quite a lot of ASF-related
email already. I don't understand most of the points being discussed on the general list as
I don't really have time to read and make sense of it all.

>>> The incubator doesn't feel particularly broken and in need of fixing at my level
of engagement, so most of the tone of the conversation does little other than give me a nagging
worry that I'm missing something important that might affect the projects I work on.

>>> I expect many more on this list will just filter these discussions out and trust
everyone concerned to do whats sensible.

>>> So, slow down please, there's no need to rush.
>>
>> +1. Please consider the movement of least change and impact on all podlings. Wild
proposals like changing all urls from "incubator.apache.org" to "incubation.apache.org" are
only going to cause confusion and difficulties in the various communities. Yes, I know we
can build in redirection, but to many the name will be a distinction without a difference.

>>> +1
>>
>> This discussion has surely helped me decide who I will support. I have experienced
the blessing / curse of very verbose individuals on MLs. These people dominant by verbiage.

> Here's a vote for Noel, I think.

Maybe, maybe not. I like your proposal.

I think the 3 ASF member requirement in Chris's proposal raises a high bar for a podling.
If I am correct Apache Flex has 2.

If it is different from Chris's then I think Bill should write his proposal.

It would be good to think about how the mentoring role changes in these proposals.

Regards,
Dave