incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Incubator Board Report, February 2012
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2012 05:28:06 GMT
Over the past month, there has been a lot of discussion within the
Incubator.  We have voted in a new PMC Chair, Jukka Zitting, who will be
rotating out of the PMC Chair position of JackRabbit.

There has been a lot of discussion over the future of the Incubator.  Under
one proposal, the Board would establish new TLPs whose PMC chair is an ASF
Member and initial PMC has at least 3 ASF Members.  Such a TLP would be
under "incubation", but not under an "Incubator".  Under such a plan, ComDev
would be given responsibility for much of the Incubator's Policy & Procedure
documentation, and similar Community Development related content.  Other
proposals are less radical, and focus on doing something to ensure more
active and involved Mentors.

More immediately, some of Jukka's thoughts on the Board's hot topic of
pushing projects out of the Incubator are presented in the following
exchange:

Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>> What I would like to see is the Incubator start identifying PPMCs that
>> are stalled, and to consider what information they need (in future
>> reports) to help them (us) make such a determination.  I am not
>> suggesting that this be made retroactive.  Or that it be done
>> immediately.  A plan would be fine: i.e., setting a date by which the
>> IPMC will have decided what information needs to be in such reports,
>> and a schedule by which the PPMCs need to start providing said
>> information.
>
> My suggestion is to ask the podlings now in category 2 to report again
> in May on their progress on the identified blockers. If there's been
> no measurable progress by then, we'll dig deeper to see what we can
> do. Podlings reporting in other months can be picked up for a similar
> oversight cycle over the coming months. By July we should then have a
> pretty accurate record of progress throughout the entire Incubator,
> including a clear list of podlings that are stuck and need help.
>
> Before the next quarterly report I'd rely on mentors to help the
> podlings identify and implement ways to move forward. And of course,
> if a podling or its mentors feel that more help is needed, asking on
> general@ or submitting an extra report is always a good idea.

On a related topic, the Incubator PMC voted to reite the HISE podling.  BVal
has voted to seek TLP status.  Syncope, intended to be a reference
implementation for Open Source Identity Management, was voted to begin
Incubation.

The podling reports are below.  Sam suggested including podling reports as a
link to a frozen wiki page.  The Incubator PMC requests feedback from the
Board as a whole as to whether an in-line summary and URL to is satisfactory
for future reports.


-------------------- Summary of podling reports --------------------

We reviewed all podlings reporting in this quarter and categorized them
according to their progress through the Incubator and the most pressing
issues that are currently blocking progress.

Still getting started at the Incubator (7 podlings)

  Any23, Bloodhound, Cordova, DeltaSpike, DeviceMap, Flex, Openmeetings

  These projects are still getting started, so no immediate progress
  towards graduation is yet expected.

Not yet ready to graduate (13 podlings)

  IP clearance: Amber
  Release trouble: Clerezza, Stanbol
  Low activity: Ambari, Nuvem, PhotArk, SIS, Wink, Zeta Components
  Low diversity: Airavata, Droids, VCL, Wookie

  We expect the next quarterly report of projects in this category to
  include a summary of their actions and progress in solving these issues.

Ready to graduate (4 podlings)

  Jena, Lucene.NET, NPanday, OpenNLP

  We expect these projects to graduate within the next quarter.

-------------------- Detailed Reports --------------------

Airavata

Airavata is a software toolkit which provides features to compose, manage,
execute, and monitor large scale applications and workflows on computational
resources ranging from local clusters to national grids and computing
clouds.
Airavata is incubating since May 2011.

A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards
graduation

  1. The barrier of entry in contributing to Airavata seems to be high.
     The code, documentation and JIRA issues have to be efficiently
     organized and managed to appeal to wider developer community.

  2. Develop a strong community with organizational diversity and well
     aligned with existing ASF projects as outlined here:
     http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/AiravataProposal#Alignment

  3. Create a regular and predictable release process and schedule

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  Whilst our community is reasonably large and active we do not, at present,
  have significant diversity, but are working on it. Right now most of the
  contributors that are active are from Indiana University. Chris from JPL
  is involved very closely from a mentoring perspective and will try and get
  involved code wise. The 0.2 release candidate is currently VOTE'ing and
  DISCUSS'ing.

How has the community developed since the last report?

  No new committers or PPMC members elected in the last quarter. Decent
  discussion on the dev and user lists, with the sporadic user coming by
  and expressing interest.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - 0.1-incubating release was cancelled, and are now VOTE'ing on
    0.2-incubating release candidate (skipped 0.1-incubating numbering).

  - Process surrounding the release is under discussion on the DISCUSS
    thread. Following the Rave process which seems to have worked for them.

Signed off by mentor: mattmann, ate, rgardler

--------------------
Any23

Any23 is defined as a Java library, a Web service and a set of command line
tools to extract and validate structured data in RDF format from a variety
of Web documents and markup formats. Any23 is what it is informally named
an RDF Distiller.

A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards
graduation

  1. Port Any23 code to ASF infrastructure and update license headers

  2. Develop a strong community with organizational diversity and with
     strong connections to other relevant ASF communities.

  3. At least one Any23 incubating release

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC), Tika PMC, or ASF Board wish/need
to be aware of?

  Good news -- Michele Mostarda and Simone Tripodi and Lewis John McGibbney
  and others stepped it up and got the code migrated from Google Code over
  here to Apache. Thanks guys!

How has the community developed since the last report?

  Since the code move from Google Code here to Apache, development traffic
  has picked up. No new committers yet though, so we'll need to watch this
  going forward.

How has the project developed since the last report?

  Any23 was voted into the Incubator by the IPMC on October 1, 2011.

  We still need to discuss Paolo Castagna's points regarding the integration
  of more of the 'semantic web' projects which exist at Apache. Also, a
number
  of uses of the project are being realized as Lewis John McGibbney is
trying
  to figure out a Nutch plugin. Simone Tripodi did a great job of getting
our
  website up and running. So now we have an Incubator website! And the rest
  of the team is starting to discuss on list more. *very* happy about that!
  All in all, everything is going well.

Signed off by mentor: mattmann

--------------------
Amber

Amber has been incubating since July 2010. Amber is a project to develop
a Java library which provides an API specification for, and an
unconditionally
compliant implementation of the OAuth v1.0, v1.0a and v2.0 specifications.
OAuth is a mechanism that allows users to authenticate and authorise access
by another party to resources they control while avoiding the need to share
their username and password credentials.

A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards
graduation

  - Clarify status of code grant
  - Attract users and developers
  - Generate a release

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  - We need copyright signoff from University of Newcastle

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - Antonion Sanso joined in as a new committer and PPMC member
  - Raymond Feng has expressed his availability to join as a mentor
  - Simone Tripodi, Amber 'father' joined back (he'd gone emeritus before)

How has the project developed since the last report?

  - Fixed a bunch of issues for aligning with latest OAuth specification
  - Updated and improved Amber website also to face T requirements

Signed off by mentor:

--------------------
Ambari

Ambari is monitoring, administration and lifecycle management project
for Apache Hadoop clusters.

  - Incubating since 30 August 2011.
  - 146 jiras fixed (up from 129 in December)
  - Development has stalled for the last month. The project needs to have
    some roadmap discussions about how to move forward.

Issues that must be addressed before graduation are:

  - Have roadmap discussions on the dev lists
  - Making a release
  - Attracting users and developers
  - Increase diversity of developers outside of Hortonworks

Signed off by mentor: omalley

--------------------
Bloodhound

Bloodhound is an issue tracker derivative of Trac, with the goal of making
deployment easy, and usage intuitive.

Bloodhound has been incubating since December 2011.

The current three most important issues toward graduation are:

  1. Improving community diversity
  2. Lowering the barrier to entry and development
  3. Creating shippable releases and getting user feedback

We missed the report last month, largely due to inattention.  There were
a number of discussions about the relationship between Bloodhound and Trac
in early January, but those appear to have been resolved to the satisfaction
of both sets of developers and the Incubator PMC.

Since incubation some effort has gone into setting up some of our ASF
infrastructure, most notably a VM to host an instance of Trac to use for
project and issue planning.  This instance will hopefully be migrated to
Bloodhound soon, as we hope to be self-hosting.  We also have set up:

  - Mailing lists
  - Commit access for all the initial committers
  - Placeholder pages for the main website and Trac/Bloodhound front pages

The community is going through a learning process about how the ASF
functions, and how to be inclusive of the external community.  Although
most of the current developers are colocated, the mailing lists have
started to see increased activity, as the existing community learns to
work in a more open manner.  A couple of additional people have expressed
interest in participating, and are actively posting to the mailing list.
A number of mockup designs have started to flow into the repository.

The primary goals of the community include getting something potential
developers can play with into the repository, and creating a release to
get some widespread exposure to the project.

Signed off by mentor: gstein, hwright

--------------------
Clerezza

(incubating since November 27th, 2009)

Clerezza is a framework and set of components designed to make it easy to
build application for the semantic and the social web.

A list of the three most important issues to address in the move towards
graduation:

  1. Manage to get first release out and establish a process to do this
     faster in the future.

  2. Better documentation and tutorials on how to build apps with Clerezza.

  3. We need to discuss a plan for community development with our mentors
     for the next board report. The next report will contain some clear
     actions.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware
of:

  Creating a release turned out to be more difficult than expected, mostly
  due to legal/licensing issues. We hope that once this is resolved for
  the first release it will be easier for subsequent releases. While
  progress has been slow, we think the next release candidate will be
  proposed very soon. Nothing is blocking progress but the legal problems
  have been discovered late and were time consuming to repair - also
  because we have no experience with this so far.

How has the community developed since the last report:

  - A new interesting person has shown up on the mailing lists.
  - Patch contributed by non-committer.
  - Domeo Annotation Toolkit is using Clerezza
    (http://annotationframework.org/).

How has the project developed since the last report.

  - Changes to project structure and naming as a result of trying to
    create a release.
  - Work to meet legal requirements / consolidate NOTICE/LICENSE files.
  - Bug-fixes.

Signed off by mentor: bdelacretaz, rgardler

--------------------
Cordova

Apache Cordova is a platform for building native mobile applications
using HTML, CSS and JavaScript. The project entered incubation as
Apache Callback in October, 2011, before changing its name to Cordova.

January could be characterized as the month where we hit our stride
on Apache infra. Tonnes of updates to the code. Huge activity on the
mailing list. Two new committers voted in.

Currently, we recognize the majority of commits are currently coming
from Adobe and IBM actively pushing to our repositories on git-wip-us
(6 and 4 active pushers respectively). We aim to add more contributors
in coming releases as per The Apache Way.

  - shipped 1.4 (NOTE: we aim to make 1.5 our first official apache release)
  - continued code migration to Cordova name
  - new Apache Cordova logo!
  - project web site design iteration
  - new automated build system code named 'coho'
  - Yohei Shimomae voted as committer
  - Steve Gill voted as committer
  - made progress on the IP review

Graduation concerns:

  - Complete the IP review (source headers, license metadata, etc.)
  - Continue to foster more community committers
  - Ship an official Apache release

Signed off by mentor: gianugo, jukka, rgardler, asavory

--------------------
DeltaSpike

(incubating since December 2011)

DeltaSpike will consist of a number of portable CDI extensions that provide
useful features for Java application developers. The goal of DeltaSpike is
to create a de-facto standard of CDI-Extensions that is developed and
maintained by the community.

There are currently no issues requiring IPMC or Board attention.

Since our last report on January 1, 2012, we have accomplished the
following:

  - Temporary documentation started
  - Features for version finished, documented and reviewed
  - Release procedure for deltaspike-0.1-incubating started (VOTE is
running)
  - Discussions for features of version 0.2 started
  - IP clearance process of Seam3 started (all already imported sources are
IP cleared)
  - Nabble mirror of your dev-mailing list created
  - GIT workflow defined
  - New contributors joined our effort
  - New Committers (voted and added)
    - Dan Allen
    - Lincoln Baxter III
    - Rudy De Busscher
    - Christian Kaltepoth
    - Lukasz Lenart
  - GitHub mirror created (done by the infra team)

 Upcoming major goals:

  - Refine test-infrastructure to allow easier tests and add
    further containers
  - Finish the setup for the documentation and the website
  - Finish IP clearance of Seam3

Top 2 or 3 things to resolve before graduation:

  1. Build community
  2. Create at least one release
  3. Create Documentation

Signed off by mentors: Gerhard Petracek, Mark Struberg (struberg), jim

--------------------
DeviceMap

Apache DeviceMap is a data repository containing device information,
images and other relevant information for all sorts of mobile devices,
e.g. smartphones and tablets.

Entered incubation on January 3rd, 2012.

The podling is just getting started, basic infrastructure has been created.

There are no issues that require the Incubator PMC's or the board's
attention.

Signed off by mentor: bdelacretaz, kevan

--------------------
Droids

Droids is an Incubator project arrived from Apache Labs. Droids entered
incubation on October, 2008.

It's an intelligent standalone robot framework that allows one to create
and extend existing web robots.

Richard Frovarp has been added as a mentor to the project.

IP clearance has been taken care of and was done prior to the release that
was performed. That issue should not have been in the last report.

Issues before graduation :

  The biggest obstacle for graduation is obtaining a diverse group of active
  committers. 95% of the commits over the past 6 months were by a single
  committer. The project needs to engage the committers that exist and
  identify new people to bring into the project. The goal for the next
  quarter is to elicit more activity.

Signed off by mentor: rfrovarp, thorsten

--------------------
Flex

Apache Flex is an application framework for easily building Flash-based
applications for mobile devices, the browser and desktop.

Summary: A highly energetic community waits for Adobe to transition code
and infrastructure.

Date of entry to the Incubator:  December 31, 2011

Top four items to resolve before graduation:

  1. Resolve trademark donation or licensing
  2. Complete code and bug database donation
  3. Make at least one release
  4. Add new committers

Is there anything that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board specifically needs
to address?

  The ASF legal team will have to work with Adobe on the Trademark
  licensing issue.  Adobe legal is still drafting the proposal before
  presenting to Apache.

Are there any legal, infrastructure, cross-project or personal issues that
need to be addressed? (Are there any stumbling blocks that impede the
podling?)

  Besides the trademark issue mentioned previously, the code donation and
  bug database donation are being slowed by infrastructure issues at both
  Adobe and Apache, mainly the lack of ways to easily transfer multi-GB
files.

Check that the project's Incubation Status file up to date.

  http://incubator.apache.org/projects/flex

What has been done (releases, milestones, etc.) since the last report?

  - An initial set of Flex source (minus Subversion history) was checked
into
    the whiteboard area of the podling's Subversion repository.
  - Other initial committers have donated code to the whiteboard.
  - A logo contest was held.  Over 50 entries were submitted.
  - The mailing lists were established.  Over 200 people joined in the
    first 30 days and the traffic averaged over 100 emails a day.  It has
    quieted down now that the logo contest has concluded.

What are the plans and expectations for the next period?

  Adobe expects to complete the transfer of the bug database and the initial
  set of code with history.  Adobe also hopes to contribute the compiler and
  test suite as well.  And there is hope for an initial release.

Are there any recommendations for how incubation could run more smoothly for
you?

  Incubation has been working well.  Our mentors are great.

Signed off by mentor: bdelacretaz, wave

--------------------
HISE

A vote to retire HISE is currently in progress.

Signed off by mentor:

--------------------
Jena

Jena is a semantic web framework in Java that implements the key W3C
recommendations for the core semantic web technologies of RDF and SPARQL.

Jena entered incubation in November 2010.

The project is discussing graduation.

Progress since the last report:

  - The project has voted for a new committer and IPMC member for the
project.
    This is the second person since the start of incubation.

  - The project has successfully produced a release. The first incubator
    release included the system core and query engine, which is 80% of the
    codebase but not all the modules. TDB is in active development and is
    only now ready for release.

  - Redirections placed at both old websites to point to the Apache
incubator
    website for Apache Jena.

  - About 20 JIRA items have been resolved since the last report.

  - Users email traffic on old, non-Apache lists continues to decline.

Issues for the Incubator PMC or ASF Board:

  None.

Plan:

  - Graduation preparation (checking, drafting the scope/charter,
    resolution, chair, more checking)
  - There are no technical or infrastructure items blocking graduation.
  - Releases of further subsystems: TDB, Fuseki, LARQ.

Signed off by mentor:
bimargulies@apache.org (Benson Margulies)

--------------------
Lucene.NET

Lucene.Net was accepted into the Apache Incubator in February 2011.
Originally it was a sub project of the Lucene Project.

Lucene.Net is a port of the Lucene search engine library, written in
C# and targeted at .NET runtime users. Lucene.Net has three primary goals:

  - Maintain the existing line-by-line port from Java to C#, fully
automating
    and commoditizing the process such that the project can easily
synchronize
    with the Java Lucene release schedule.

  - High-performance C# search engine library.

  - Maximize usability and power when used within the .NET runtime. To that
    end, it will present a highly idiomatic, carefully tailored API that
    takes advantage of many of the special features of the .NET runtime.

Recent Activity:

  - Lucene.Net 2.9.4g passed a vote for release Jan 29th. We are preparing
    to move the files to dist, creating NuGet packages and updating the
website

  - Significant Activity for Lucene.Net 3.0.3

Current Activities:

  - Porting Java Lucene 3.0.3
  - Porting Java Lucene 4.0
  - Hashing out style guidelines (FxCop / ReSharper)

Long term goals:

  - Have a nearly fully automated process to convert Java Lucene to C#.
    (This has been a goal, but we are discussing if this is truely the
    best idea of the project)
  - Release Lucene.Net 3.0.3 (port of Java Lucene 3.0.3)
  - Have a new .NET version of Lucene utilizing .NET constructs and idioms

Graduation thought:

  - One of the mentors (Stefan Bodewig) has indicated he wants to start
    pushing for graduation. We will be making plans to do this in the next
    couple of months

Signed off by mentor: bodewig

--------------------
NPanday

NPanday allows projects using the .NET framework to be built with
Apache Maven. NPanday has been incubating since August 2010.

Discussion has been low over the holiday period, but steady work has been
put into knocking issues marked for the next releases. There are very few
left, and a good number of fixes complete, so a release should come quite
shortly. This would be a good opportunity to focus on a graduation plan,
and to better promote the project among the .NET and Maven communities
and increase the number of users and contributors.

We continue to see small growth in users, and occasional patch submissions,
but haven't added a new committer in a while.

The top priorities towards graduation are:

  - work out a concrete plan towards graduation in the next quarter
  - encourage newer contributors to do so on a continuing basis.

There are no issues for the Incubator PMC or board at this time.

Signed off by mentor: Dennis Lundberg

--------------------
Nuvem

Apache Nuvem will define an open application programming interface for
common cloud application services, allowing applications to be easily
ported across the most popular cloud platforms.

Nuvem was accepted for Incubation on June, 2010.

  - Nothing much happened on the last three months on the project, and
    there are discussions on the mailing list around the future of the
project.

Top things to resolve prior to graduation:

  - Increase the number of active committers.

Signed off by mentor: lresende

--------------------
Openmeetings

Openmeetings provides video conferencing, instant messaging, white
board, collaborative document editing and other groupware tools using
API functions of the Red5 Streaming Server for Remoting and Streaming.

OpenMeetings entered the incubation on November 12, 2011.

  - A question for PMC: Should we start a demo server on Apache, so people
    can benefit from communication?

Summary:
The project prepares some of the infrastructure, releases of the
OpenMeetings plugins and refactors the sources for a first incubator
release of the OpenMeetings Application.

Details:
The project has a number of Plugins that it releases for integration of
OpenMeetings into other platforms: Moodle Plugin, SugarCRM Plugin, those
Plugins have been refactored to be compatible with Apache License and can
be released now.

OpenMeetings project itself has replaced the Library JOD , which is part of
the conversion with OpenOffice and import of .doc/.ppt/.xls/.odp/... to
whiteboard of OpenMeetings (OPENMEETINGS-32). JOD library is not part of the
OpenMeetings distribution anymore and users will need to configure the path
to JOD library on their installation to enable the importer. This is a
temporary solution, the Developers of JOD library will change their license
to an APL compatible as soon as Apache OpenOffice successfully releases
under APL (Message from JOD Developers:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/jodconverter/2f0bo38H59I/P_Dro3pe64QJ).

The UI interface has been refactored to have the possibility to configure
the UI elements (OPENMEETINGS-21 to OPENMEETINGS-25)

The SIP integration has been refactored and we are talking to the developers
of Red5 (http://code.google.com/p/red5phone/) how we will handle integration
between the two projects in the future.

The Red5 project has changed its license to APL
(http://code.google.com/p/red5/source/detail?r=4309)

Plan:

  - Calendar UI will be refactored to use REST API in the coming weeks
    instead of RTMP protocol, Laszlo Calendar Component (CPL licensed) will
    be removed from the sources. Conversion to REST should improve the
    possibility to switch to pure JavaScript UI on the long run.

  - The integration with Apache's Continuous Build environment is a todo.
    The current ANT script is not compatible with the Hudson/Jenkins build
    environment at ASF and needs to be refactored (OPENMEETINGS-2)

  - There are plans to add a JIRA / confluence plugin

Community:

  - There are still messages to the old project website, but the majority of
    the users have switched  to the new project website.

  - There are a number of 3th party maintained Plugins, especially for
    E-Learning frameworks like Sakai, ILias, StudIP, ATutor, ELGG. We will
    need to convert those docs/references to the ASF website.

Signed off by mentor: yegor, jim

--------------------
OpenNLP

The Apache OpenNLP library is a machine learning based toolkit for the
processing of natural language text. Incubating since November, 2011.

It supports the most common NLP tasks, such as tokenization, sentence
segmentation, part-of-speech tagging, named entity extraction, chunking,
parsing, and coreference resolution. These tasks are usually required to
build more advanced text processing services. OpenNLP also includes maximum
entropy and perceptron based machine learning.

The team was extended by two new committers, Boris Galitsky and Aliaksandr
Autayeu. We worked towards our graduation and had a positive community and
recommendation vote.

Our community became more active and we saw a couple of new faces
on the user and development mailing list.

Signed off by mentor:

--------------------
PhotArk

Apache PhotArk will be a complete open source photo gallery application
including a content repository for the images, a display piece, an access
control layer, and upload capabilities.

PhotArk was accepted for Incubation on August 19, 2008.

PhotArk has a small community of contributors, mostly student, that need a
lot of attention in order to keep them active, and the lack of attention
made
the community stale to almost a zero activity in the last three or four
months.

Currently the is a community discussion on the future of the project, and
one of the ideas that has gotten the community attention is to make PhotArk
to move away from a image repository, and become a HTML5/Cordova mobile
application that aggregates images from different photo sources such as:
Flickr, Instagram, Facebook, etc. We have also raised the question with IPMC
if we need to follow any specific process in case the community decide to
change the scope of the project, but we haven't got any answer yet.

Issues before graduation :

  -  PhotArk started as a project with no initial code-base, and we have
     grown the community to the minimal independent committer size required
     for graduation. We need to make these contributors constantly active
     in order to think about graduation again, or recruit new contributors.

Signed off by mentor: lresende

--------------------
SIS

Apache SIS is a toolkit that spatial information system builders or users
can use to build applications containing location context. This project will
look to store reference implementations of spatial algorithms, utilities,
services, etc. as well as serve as a sandbox to explore new ideas. Further,
the goal is to have Apache SIS grow into a thriving Apache top-level
community, where a host of SIS/GIS related software (OGC datastores,
REST-ful
interfaces, data standards, etc.) can grow from and thrive under the
Apache umbrella.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

  The thread here: http://s.apache.org/Q2z reports a "where is the project"
  going status. I think we've come up with a plan of action items to
  develop on. We've elected 2 new PPMC members and committers (Adam Estrada
  and Andrew Hart) and both are on board and have their accounts set up.

  In response to reviving the project, I'd urge folks to give us a chance
  with the new blood we've infused and with our development plan that Chris
  proposed.

Community progress since the last report

  Adam Estrada and Andrew Hart were VOTEd in as PPMC members and committers.

Project progress since last report

  SIS was voted into the Incubator by the IPMC on February 21, 2010.

  Here is the current list of items to work on for 0.2-incubating.

  - SIS-28 Create a Layer Service for Google Earth Integration
  - SIS-13 Change QuadTree Reader/Writer to use URLs instead of String
           file paths
  - SIS-11 Basic CLI for SIS
  - SIS-10 Ability to create SIS data from WKT specs
  - SIS-9  Allow for multiple spatial reference systems
  - SIS-8  Build a common SIS data container for spatial data

  The goal is to make some progress on these issues before the next report
  and have a status update on the 0.2-incubating release.


Signed off by mentor: mattmann, greddin, kevan, joes

--------------------
Stanbol

Apache Stanbol is an open source modular software stack and reusable
set of components for semantic content management. Incubating since
November, 2010.

Three most important issues to address in the move towards graduation.

  - Make a first release (depends on a first release of Apache Clerezza to
    eliminate SNAPSHOT dependencies)

  - Auditing/clarifying multiple maven repositories and corresponding
    dependencies

  - Make the data models downloadable independently from the ASF
repositories
    to avoid gray copyright / licensing issues (for instance for the OpenNLP
    models).

How has the community developed since the last report?

  - Reto Bachmann Gmuer and Ali Anil Sinaci has been elected as new
committers.
  - Alberto Musetti has contributed to the project by providing patches
  - David Riccitelli provided patch that uses the Stanbol Commons Jobs to
    implement an Asynchronous RESTful API for the Stanbol Enhancer.

How has the project developed since the last report.

  Features:
  - LDPath (http://code.google.com/p/ldpath/) support for Entityhub and
    Contenthub
  - Contenthub now supports multiple semantic indexes and Solr RESTful API
    can be directly used for search
  - Enhancer now support for multiple Enhancement Chains and multi-part
    ContentItems. Work on extended RESTful API will be finished soon.
  - Enhancement Engine for Topic Classification (STANBOL-197)
  - First version of a Apache Stanbol/Apache Camel integration

  Improved Documentation (both on the Stanbol Homepage and the Web UI of
  Apache Stanbol)

Signed off by mentor: bdelacretaz, tommaso

--------------------
VCL

VCL has been incubating since December 2008. VCL is a cloud computing
platform for the management of physical and virtual machines.

New Committers

  1. The Apache VCL community recently added Aaron Coburn of Amherst College
     as a committer. We welcome Aaron and look forward to his expertise and
     knowledge to help advance VCL software.

  2. There are a couple of other potential committers that might be able to
     join the community as committers. We look forward to hopefully bring
     them aboard.

Community Involvement

  1. The Apache VCL community is seeing continued growth and interest around
     the world.

  2. The community activity on the mailing list is an open discussion and
     members respectfully exchange ideas and provide support.

Releases

  Our next release is behind our intended schedule, we are working through
  the remaining issues and features. We are targeting a March Release for
  Apache VCL 2.3. This will included support for Vcenter, kvm hypervisors,
  server based profiles and lots of bug fixes.

Top Issues Before Graduation

  Continue to increase contributors to establish a more diverse
  development community.

Signed off by mentor: kevan, adc

--------------------
Wink

Apache Wink is a project that enables development and consumption of REST
style web services. The core server runtime is based on the JAX-RS (JSR 311)
standard. The project also introduces a client runtime which can leverage
certain components of the server-side runtime. Apache Wink will deliver
component technology that can be easily integrated into a variety of
environments.

Apache Wink has been incubating since 2009-05-27.

Development list traffic and discussions are steadily, but low. The
community
has started some discussion on picking up the JAX-RS 2.0 draft specs and
start working/prototyping on this, but activity has not increased yet.

The community has also discussed graduation, and worked on various
graduation
process tasks, but the talks had halted as one member has not agreed to
proceed with graduation while the activity on the project is slow.

Planned Activity:

  - Increase activity among existing committers/pmc members
  - Start prototyping on JAX-RS 2.0 draft specs
  - Work towards graduation.

Top issues before graduation:

  - Increase the size/diversity of the active dev community

Signed off by mentor: kevan

--------------------
Wookie

Wookie is a Java server application that allows you to upload and deploy
widgets for your applications. Wookie is based on the W3C Widgets
specification, but widgets can also be included that use extended APIs
such as Google Wave Gadgets and OpenSocial.

Wookie has been incubating since 17th July 2009

Wookie has a small, reasonably active community, however, the majority of
that activity is focussed around one or two individuals. The main issue we
would like to address before graduation is to ensure we  have more diversity
in our community. However, as it stands we could probably graduate as we
meet
the minimum criteria (5 committers from 3 organisations). We recognise that
some IPMC members would suggest graduation at this point might help
accelerate community growth. We intend to discuss this within the community
over the next quarter whilst also seeking to expand our community.

One strategy for this is to reach out to projects and teams already using
Wookie and encourage their developers to contribute back to the community.
We know several projects (both in commercial and academic sectors) that have
been conducting R&D activity using Wookie and we want to make sure we can
bring in both contributions from these projects and also welcome their
developers into our community.

However we feel that Wookie will only really become fully sustainable when
there is more uptake of the W3C Widgets/Native Web Applications
specifications into "real" systems and products. On this front we're active
and visible in W3C, along with PhoneGap/Apache Cordova (incubating) who also
support W3C Widgets (the W3C Native Web Apps Community have a co-chair who
is a Wookie committer and another who is a Cordova committer). Another
strategy has been to support integration in Apache Rave (currently preparing
to graduate) as this is a way to build our user base (and is also a great
way
to demo Wookie). Another approach we're looking at is how we can use Wookie
to deploy widgets that relate to ASF processes and activities as a way of
raising awareness and interest; we've done some experiments with Widgets
using the Jira API as a starting point for a demonstrator.

In any case, we can certainly do more to promote Wookie and generate
interest.

Since November 2011:

  - 0.9.1 release
  - Received updated patch for oAuth support from community member
  - Received documentation contribution for packaging Wookie as a portable
    app on a USB stick

Next steps:

  - 0.9.2 release using an improved and simplified release process
  - Developer outreach activity (see above)
  - Improve communication about Wookie
  - ASF Widgets demo

Issues before graduation:

  - build community/expand user base

Signed off by mentor: rgardler, ate

--------------------
Zeta Components

Apache Zeta Components are a high quality, general purpose library of loosly
coupled components for development of applications based on PHP.

Zeta Components was accepted into Incubator on May 25th, 2010

What has been done:

  - (Some) cleanup of test system
  - Planning of actions for creating a release candidate.

What is still in progress:

  - Sorting out the tests after PHPUnit changes
  - Build system discussions

What needs to be done:

  - Making a release
  - Look at ways to increase developer diversity and activity
  - Find a new mentor to replace grobmeier.

Signed off by mentor: jvermillard



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message