incubator-general mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PMC chair vs. reorg proposals
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:24:21 GMT
On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 9:04 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> On 2/5/2012 1:40 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>>
>> Just to set the record straight and get out of the way, *my* position
>> is that I do not feel particularly qualified to lead the charge in
>> presiding over the disassembly of the incubator. My alternative
>> proposal is not my 'election platform' -- it's just an alternative --
>> and as much Ralph's now as mine. If the incubator isn't disassembled,
>> it has to find some compromise between (to oversimplify) you and Joe,
>> and it's one possibility.
>
> Which was entirely my point.  You don't have 'platforms'.  You each
> 'champion' entirely different approaches to solving the issues that
> everyone agrees do exist, today.
>
> So without knowing which direction we travel, it is hard to select
> the most appropriate candidate.  Or rather, selecting one of the two
> candidates pretty much sets forward a direction.  So as the chief
> advocates of two competing proposals, it's no longer possible to
> discern the candidate from the proposal.
>
> Or rather, if either of you were elected to guide in a direction you
> very much disagreed with, you would be very frustrated, and probably
> end up as a disappointing leader of any efforts at all.
>
> I'd rather have an election in 2 or 3 months after IPMC or the board
> decides what will happen next.  And depending on how the two of your
> positions and ideas shift over that time in these discussions, it's
> entirely possible you each make equivalently successful leaders over
> the final consensus that is drawn up.  For Noel to serve and just let
> the current discussion play out sounds great to me.

I simply can't believe it.

We have discussed to reelect chair position. Deeply.
We have discussed chair rotation. Deeply
We have nominated candidates- three good catches. They provided us
long statements on their visions. We know, without the community these
visions will not work.

And now we do not do anything because the visions are not ready to
go??? Wasn't it mentioned that the chair is an administrative role??

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de