incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: mentoring individuals as well as projects
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 17:13:56 GMT
On 1 February 2012 15:54, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 01:54:18PM +0000, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> My point is that when we help guide individuals who demonstrate a
>> willingness to contribute those individuals often grow in capacity.
>
> There was a memorable post on another ASF list a few months ago which compared
> Apache's decentralized leadership model to that of military organizations and
> contrasted it with the stiff hierarchical model common in the corporate world.
> It linked to an article which studied the question of why "military service --
> particularly service in the crucible of combat -- is exceptionally effective
> at developing leaders."[1]  The article author's answer, in part:
>
>  Secondly, military leaders tend to hold high levels of responsibility and
>  authority at low levels of our organizations.
>
> Top level PMCs at Apache are largely autonomous, but when it comes to binding
> votes on releases, podlings are wholly dependent on IPMC members whose
> attentions often wander.

AIUI, a Mentor must be an IPMC member, and a podling should have at
least 3 mentors, so a podling is not *wholly dependent* on the IPMC.
Far from it. It's only when a podlings own mentors are lacking or AWOL
that it is necessary to solicit votes from the IPMC at large.

> Our future PMC members do not "hold high levels of
> responsibility and authority at low levels of our organization" -- instead,
> projects have a boolean "graduated/not-graduated" property whereby podlings
> move from having no autonomy and mandatory supervision to having near-total
> autonomy and scant supervision after graduation.
>
> I believe that we would develop better future PMC members if PPMC members were
> encouraged to earn partial autonomy for their podlings by earning a binding
> vote for themselves.  Serving alongside Mentors encourages podling contributors
> to think like Mentors, exercising "servant leadership" and devolving
> responsibility within their own projects.

Not sure how that would work if the podlings mentors are already awol.