incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Sqoop podling from Apache Incubator
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 21:25:41 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 9:53 PM, Patrick Hunt <phunt@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <adc@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>> Opps, I didn't see that Arvind concluded the vote.  I still stand by my opinion
that there
>> are some things that are not solely up to the people that are doing the work.  Complete
>> migration to the the org.apache.* package space is one of them.
>
> No worries. I respect your opinion and if Apache feels that this is
> important enough to make explicit then certainly Sqoop should make the
> changes. Short of that I don't see why we should hold Sqoop to a
> higher standard than is expected of other Apache projects. (that's
> _my_ opinion ;-) )

Right.

Basically the graduation vote by the IPMC is about determining whether
the PPMC is capable of conducting itself according to the Apache Way
and Apache policies on it's own. I didn't have time to look deeper
into Sqoop yet, but all the +1s in this vote suggest that the Sqoop
PPMC is ready to take on that responsibility. Along with that
responsibility comes the right to make value judgements on topics like
this where existing policies aren't clearly spelled out.

Personally I think we should let the vote result stand with guidance
to the new Sqoop PMC to discuss the matter with the branding team at
trademarks@ to seek Apache-wide consensus. I encourage anyone who
feels strongly about this (the point being made clearly has some
merit) make their case to trademarks@ as it's IMHO not really the task
of the Incubator to be forming new policy on this, especially with all
the recent talk about scaling down the ambitions of the IPMC.

BR,

Jukka Zitting