incubator-general mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Sqoop podling from Apache Incubator
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 20:51:12 GMT
>> Note that API is not just method signatures but includes all aspects
>> of implementation such as class hierarchies, type compatibility,
>> static and non-static state etc.
>
> I think that it's good to have binary compatibility with Cloudera's old bindings.
I still don't see why it's a requirement for Apache to house code whose sole use is to provide
backward compatible bindings for Cloudera's old bindings.

The Sqoop community moved from github where it was ASL licensed to
Apache. There is now a Sqoop community at Apache that continues
using/developing this code and they felt that having backward
compatibility was useful. There is no stated restriction from Apache
against doing such. I don't know the cost of just dropping the
com.cloudera migration aids, but I suspect it would have been easier
to just drop it than spend the time worrying about it and trying to
provide a solution. I'm primarily acting as a mentor, Arvind would be
in better position to provide insight into that background and why the
community felt it was important to carry this forward.

Patrick