incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PMC chair vs. reorg proposals
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 19:33:20 GMT
Bill characterized this situation as writing a proposal to the board
to to blow up and replace the incubator, and that has colored my
writing. Bill has also been the most vehement opponent of one of the
possible evolutionary strategies: to elect people to the PMC on the
strength (only) of their ability and willingness to supervise single
podlings. If we stop trying to engineer a revolution, and we leave all
of our possible options open, most of them could be piloted without
any board interaction more interesting than submitting some
differently-qualified PMC candidates for approval.

In other words, if you treat the destruction of the incubator as the
'withering away of the state' that might happen someday (instead of a
near-term result of a near-term board resolution), all of this
shouting reduces to alternatives for the lifecycle and supervision of
new projects, any number of which could be tried at once.

For myself, I'm willing to do my best to preside over any evolutionary
strategy. My self-disqualification comes from my perception of the
gigantic amount of work involved in a sudden (meaning, small integer
number of month) transition to a no-incubator-PMC scheme.

It seems to me that one of the ideas would require some board
assistance: Roy's 'IPMC as board' structure, in which, it seems to me,
podlings (sooner or later) take binding votes on their own releases
and committers, but the board delegates supervision to the IPMC
instead of doing all if it.