incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Sqoop podling from Apache Incubator
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:49:58 GMT
On 29 February 2012 15:39, Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:
> On 02/29/2012 03:52 PM, Ate Douma wrote:

> I would propose that an ASF project SHOULD not use 3rd party namespaces,
> unless there is a very strong and logical requirement to do so.
> I'm explicitly not using the term MUST here.

+1

When I championed Jena we discussed this. The team agreed that the
change should be made but insisted that doing so as part of a point
release would be very difficult for the community. They were concerned
that it would hold up graduation if they MUST make the change. I asked
the question, I think on general@, but possibly members@. I was
assured that it SHOULD be done but that it was recognised this is not
always possible during incubation.

I'm not going to comment on Sqoop as I have not looked at the
specifics. However, I believe Jena have a strong case (which is rooted
in supporting a large and pre-existing user community). Furthermore,
they have a commitment to move away from the old namespace. I guess
one big difference here is that the company represented in the Jena
namespace is no longer active in the community.

I'll let others figure out the Sqoop case, but I want to show strong
support for SHOULD versus MUST as outlined by Ate.

Ross