incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Licence headers in template files
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 09:58:53 GMT
A license header question...

In the Wookie podling we have a templating system for building
widgets. Basically a user defined a few properties, adds a few
snippets of HTML, CSS and Javascript and then runs an Ant script. This
spits out fully packaged widgets.

In order to do this there are a number of file fragments (HTML,
Javascript and CSS) which are copied into multiple places in the final
widget, often multiple times in the same file. If these snippets have
a licence header in them this results in multiple Apache licences in
the output, spread throughout the file. We could do some
pre-processing and strip out those headers, but we would rather not
add this overhead.

There is no significant IP in these templates. they are mostly
boilerplates that are intended to be replaced by the end user, but in
some cases they will remain. You can see some of them at [1] (see the
content_* files)

To save you looking here is an example of one of them...

<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.6.4.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://code.jquery.com/mobile/1.0/jquery.mobile-1.0.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="scripts/controller.js"></script>

Would it be acceptable for these files to *not* have licence headers in them?

Ross

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/wookie/trunk/widgets/templates/browse/

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)