incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Syncope to Join the Apache Incubator
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 09:39:02 GMT
On 1 February 2012 09:06, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/1/12 1:04 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>>
>> Dear Proposed Syncope mentors:
>>
>> Please post messages on this thread indicating your prior experience
>> as mentors,
>
> Does mentors have to have any experience ? Is this a new policy for being a
> mentor on an incubator project, or something you just are interested in ?

Personally I find the request for mentors to justify themselves in
this way quite disturbing. I do understand what Benson is trying to
address here, I just don't think this is the right way. We have not,
to my knowledge, agreed any changes to the mentor role. All people
currently able to mentor have been pre-approved by the IPMC. Frankly I
find it distasteful expecting volunteers with good intentions to
further justify themselves.

That is not to say that things are OK as they are, but lets not take
rash actions, lets figure it out and take one step at a time.

Ross