incubator-general mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Licence headers in template files
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 13:44:38 GMT
On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Franklin, Matthew B.
<mfranklin@mitre.org> wrote:
> I am sure you know this (especially since you first pointed me at this page), but the
release FAQ [1] makes it sound like you need the header, if you assume your templates are
source:

>       Which Files Must Contain An ASF License Text?
>       Every source file must contain the appropriate ASF License text.
>
> I am no lawyer, so I will defer to someone who has more experience than me to help you
determine whether your snippets count as source.

I think that is a bug in the Release FAQ. What i've been told in the
past but which i can't find links to right now, is that the top level
LICENSE file covers everything anyway and the individual license
headers aren't strictly necessary especially for source files without
significant IP. IMHO if the headers are problematic for Wookie in
those files then it would be ok to just not include the header.

   ...ant