incubator-general mailing list archives

From Arvind Prabhakar <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Sqoop podling from Apache Incubator
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 21:39:44 GMT
On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Jukka Zitting <> wrote:
> Hi,
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 9:53 PM, Patrick Hunt <> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <> wrote:
>>> Opps, I didn't see that Arvind concluded the vote.  I still stand by my opinion
that there
>>> are some things that are not solely up to the people that are doing the work.
>>> migration to the the org.apache.* package space is one of them.
>> No worries. I respect your opinion and if Apache feels that this is
>> important enough to make explicit then certainly Sqoop should make the
>> changes. Short of that I don't see why we should hold Sqoop to a
>> higher standard than is expected of other Apache projects. (that's
>> _my_ opinion ;-) )
> Right.
> Basically the graduation vote by the IPMC is about determining whether
> the PPMC is capable of conducting itself according to the Apache Way
> and Apache policies on it's own. I didn't have time to look deeper
> into Sqoop yet, but all the +1s in this vote suggest that the Sqoop
> PPMC is ready to take on that responsibility. Along with that
> responsibility comes the right to make value judgements on topics like
> this where existing policies aren't clearly spelled out.

Thanks Jukka. In fact, Sqoop already has a plan in place to completely
remove com.cloudera.* namespace from its contents via the next major
revision of the product. The work for that has already started and
currently exists under the branch sqoop2 [3], tracked by SQOOP-365
[4]. We hope that in a few months time, we will have feature parity in
this branch with the trunk, which is when we will promote it to the

> Personally I think we should let the vote result stand with guidance
> to the new Sqoop PMC to discuss the matter with the branding team at
> trademarks@ to seek Apache-wide consensus. I encourage anyone who
> feels strongly about this (the point being made clearly has some
> merit) make their case to trademarks@ as it's IMHO not really the task
> of the Incubator to be forming new policy on this, especially with all
> the recent talk about scaling down the ambitions of the IPMC.

This sounds like a great solution that addresses the concern and does
not unduly penalize the Sqoop project. On behalf of Sqoop PMC, I will
be happy to take this up with the branding team and trademarks@ to
drive a definitive resolution. I also volunteer personally to discuss
and seek Apache-wide consensus on this issue for not only the benefit
of Sqoop, but for other projects who may be in this state inside or
outside of the Incubator.

Arvind Prabhakar