incubator-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Sqoop podling from Apache Incubator
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:11:46 GMT

On Feb 29, 2012, at 11:10 AM, Arun C Murthy wrote:

> Arvind,
> (Sorry, I missed this discussion.)
> On Feb 28, 2012, at 10:53 AM, Arvind Prabhakar wrote:
>> Please see [1] for details on why the code is like this. The short
>> summary is that binary compatibility requires us to respect all
>> extension points within the code.
>> [1]
> This might be prior to your involvement with Sqoop, but it was initially part of Apache
Hadoop MapReduce as a contrib module prior to being moved out to github.
> Thus, does the Sqoop community also plan to maintain back-compat with org.apache.hadoop.sqoop
namespace for older users too?
> I can't seem to place whether we ever made Apache Hadoop releases which included Sqoop
before it got moved out...

Uh, hit 'send' too soon...

Never mind - I was looking at the wrong project in ASF jira (HADOOP and not MAPREDUCE).

Sqoop was removed via

Turns out we never released Sqoop via Apache Hadoop - so my question is moot. Sorry for the