incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Sqoop podling from Apache Incubator
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2012 17:57:34 GMT

On Feb 28, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Patrick Hunt wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:06 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Cloudera's compatibility issues are not our problem. These packages need to
>>> go.
>>
>> Citation needed. Without a written policy to that effect these things
>> are up for each project to decide. Jarek's rationale sounds perfectly
>> fine to me.
>>
>> We have plenty of projects that provide such backwards compatibility
>> wrappers or otherwise put stuff in non-apache namespaces for various
>> reasons. See for example [1] or [2].
>>
>> [1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/subversion/bindings/javahl/
>> [2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/trunk/
>>

> I agree with Jukka on this. There is no such policy. There are
> examples of well established TLPs doing similar. The files are
> explicitly deprecated and will be eventually removed, they are for the
> convenience of users and others building on top of Sqoop who are
> migrating from the original code base to Apache based packages. It
> makes total sense to provide a bridge that enables that group to move
> to the Apache version of the code.

I'm not sure that JSR specs are the same as old Cloudera code.  JMHO.

As for the Tigris/Subversion code I am surprised that they allowed it.  I am surprised that
the Foundation would allow the Subversion project to allow it.

Normally I would be in the same boat as Jukka and Patrick in curbing the usual ad hoc requirements
that IPMC members seem to tack on to votes but I think that this problem is quite a different
animal, in my opinion.   I don't see the technical requirement that this code needs to stay
at Apache and not Cloudera.

Regards,
Alan