incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Evolution instead of a revolution (Was: Time to vote the chair?)
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 23:55:50 GMT

On Feb 3, 2012, at 11:12 AM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 14:04, William A. Rowe Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>> On 2/3/2012 12:51 PM, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:
>>>
>>> So that everyone affected by these proposals has the opportunity to engage in
the discussion, I recommend that we pull these out of e-mail for a while and ask everyone
who has a new "plan" for the incubator to draft proposals on the wiki as Chris did.  At that
point, we could have a bake-off discussion where the community has the ability to evaluate
and chime in with their concerns/comments/suggestions.

>> Funny you mention it, the Incubator itself was the product of a bake off
>> between two proposed resolutions, still recorded in the board minutes :)
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2002/board_minutes_2002_10_16.txt

It is actually interesting reading those resolutions - although to be honest I didn't see
much difference between them. I don't really see anything wrong with them.  As I see it, the
problem with the PMC isn't its charter but how it has chosen to carry it out.  For example,
requiring mentors to be IPMC members vs ASF members means constantly pinging the board with
people who are coming and going who are interested in helping a podling succeed but who aren't
really interested in running the incubator.  I really see nothing wrong with having an incubator
PMC whose job it is to monitor the podlings, make sure they have active mentors, are getting
the help they need and then make a decision on graduating or retiring them.  However, that
PMC doesn't need more than a dozen people on it.

"Disbanding" the PMC seems to me to be a very reactionary approach to the problem.

Ralph