incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Dickinson <...@epimorphics.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Sqoop podling from Apache Incubator
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 13:39:26 GMT
On 29/02/12 13:07, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> [snip]
>> There is no legal (trademark or copyright) problem that I'm aware of. There
>> is no technical problem that I'm aware of.
>

> OK do we have the right to create any kind of package or class under
> com.cloudera (or any other companies packages)?
This is a red-herring in my view: no packages or classes are being
created if a project leaves a compatibility layer in place. The
class/package names are merely not being deleted. Presuming that the
original code was part of the inceptional code grant, one can conclude
that the company in question doesn't mind their namespace being used by
ASF projects *for that purpose*.

Ian