incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ATTN] Incubator releases distribution area reminder!
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2012 17:37:49 GMT
On 24/02/12 16:56, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Mark Struberg wrote on Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 09:17:57 +0000:
>> PS: txs to Daniel Shahaf for pointing me at the current docs
>>

> I didn't :)

As I'm discovering, the incubator guides aren't completely clear :-)

1/

Incubator guide:
[[
Distribution policy with regard to releases is simple:

     The Incubator insists that artifacts for {podling} are contained
within www.apache.org/dist/incubator/{podling}.

]]

which does not mention the maven repository at all, and says that
artifacts go in the dist/incubator/ area.

Two meanings of "artifact" - maven artifact and Apache product.

2/

If the intention is to "strongly suggest" specific layouts then the text:

[[
Best Practice
   Layout

A podling is free to choose a suitable layout for its released artifacts
within the podling distribution directory.

It is recommended that standard layouts (commonly used by other
projects) be studied
]]

could be revised to include the constraints

3/

[[
Often symbolic links are created from the root of the project
distribution directory to the latest version of each release. This
allows scripts or users to easily locate the latest release.
]]

is at odds with

http://www.apache.org/dev/mirror-step-by-step.html
[[
9. Do not use symbolic links in mirrored directories!
]]
although that does say "Note: This file contains out-of-date information."

Sorry - I do read the documentation sometimes ;-)

	Andy