incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating (RC-4)
Date Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:41:49 GMT
sebb,

What I'm trying to get to at the moment is something that enables a
release of TDB and we can apply to next module.

jena is a number of modules, we have released 3 (5 actually - 2 are the
parent POM and the distribution maker for the core) already; TDB is the
sixth, and there are 3 more in the pipeline.

People have been asking for more packaging forms - WAR file for the
server functionality, OSGi for Jena as a whole, which seems to be a
non-trivial exercise.

One of the ones to come is not a simple jar build - it's a server that
can used as a jar, as a combined dependencies jar or run from the
command line.  I'm trying to understand the constraints required so that
will be smooth(er).

We are discussing rebuilding our build strategy but doing so, and to get
it working reliably and stably will take time.  We chose to release with
what we have, and not let reworking the build system become critical
path for graduation.

 >> The apache-jena-tdb... is then merely being a renamed file for browsing
 >> apache-jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating-distribution.zip
 >>
 >> (c.f. Ant which has renamed items in it dist/ant)

I referred to Ant specifically because the incubator documentation for
podling releases picks ant and httpd out as examples to look at.

ant has top level items for easy discovery which are renamed duplicates
of things in binaries/

 >> `-- source-release
 >>     `-- jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating
 >
 > What's the point of the subdirectory?

because there are other modules with their own source-release artifact.
  The TDB release items will be merged into the existing directory.

We had been following a layout like CXF where source-release and
binaries are in the same directory.  Given that is where a the
maven-driven process puts them, someone taking the source releease
doing "mvn package" is going to look in target/ and expect created items
to be there.

That was the RC-2 proposal for dist for TDB.  If, as seems necessary, we
have to adopt a different layout, we'll reorganise the existing release
items into the same structure.

>> Would a structure:
>>
>> dist
>> |-- binaries
>> |   `-- jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating
>> |       |-- jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating-distribution.tar.gz
>> |       |-- jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating-distribution.zip
>> |       |-- jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating-javadoc.jar
>> |       |-- jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating-sources.jar
>> |       |-- jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating.jar
>
> The jars are not generally needed for dist/
>
>> |-- download
>> |   |-- apache-jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating-distribution.tar.gz
>> |   |-- apache-jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating-distribution.zip
>
> Are these the same as the distribution archives above?
>
>> `-- source-release
>>     `-- jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating
>
> What's the point of the subdirectory?
>
>>         |-- jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating-source-release.zip
>
> Name does not agree with binary archives
>
>> + the .asc, .md5 .sha1 files
>>
>> be acceptable?
>>
>> Or with "download/" removed its files at the top level?
>
> I still find it very confusing.
> e.g. where is the source file for jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating-distribution.tar.gz?

jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating-source-release.zip

Given the way maven classifiers work, it is a reasonable expectation of
the user to find the various classifier artifacts in target/ after
"mvn package"

> Why is there a download directory and a binaries directory?

Like ant, I pulled out the items which are "download-unpack-go".  The
dist areas serves several audiences - for (new) users, not necessarily
experienced maven users, we have the Jena website (we use Apache CMS to
produce the website, not maven by the way) simply point to download/
(mirrored).  Ditto URLs handled out on the web as being the place to go
to download Jena.

I don't mind if it's download/ or (like ant) at the top level.

	Andy