incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating (RC-4)
Date Fri, 24 Feb 2012 12:11:39 GMT

>> We distribute through maven but also many of our users are not experienced
>> developers but students, including ones new to java.
>>
>> To make it as easy as possible for this category of user, we ship a
>> distribution which is the collection of jars needed for use without a
>> maven/ivy infrastructure.
>
> That's fine, so long as the N&L files agree with the contents.

They should do.

>> This is created in the maven target/ area - and it is then renamed into the
>> dist/ area as apache-jena* by the distribution build script.  Maven forces
>> the name to be jena-tdb-.... on staging whatever assembly root name is
>> given.
>
> Again that's OK, but the layout of the dist area - and the naming
> convention - is very confusing.
>
> There is no direct correspondance between the binary and source archives.
> It should be immediately obvious how to find the source and
> corresponding binary, but that's not the case at present.

The directory structures align:

/download/jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating
/source-release/jena-tdb-0.9.0-incubating

but since this isn't "/binaries" and "/sources" we'll build about RC -
we'll be back in a week to 10 day I hope.

> The scripts can all have AL headers; there are some XML files as well
> that could have them.

I will put either short or full AL headers on the scripts.

find . -name \*xml | xargs grep -L "Licensed to the Apache Software
Foundation" | xargs wc -l

   39 ./testing/Deployment/pom.xml
    8 ./src/main/java/com/hp/hpl/jena/tdb/tdb-properties.xml
    8 ./src/main/resources/org/apache/jena/tdb/tdb-properties.xml
   55 total

and tdb-properies.xml has 2 Java properties.

	Andy