incubator-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving forward
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2012 18:18:47 GMT
On 02/09/2012 07:42 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> 2. I wrote an Incubator deconstruction proposal here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/IncubatorDeconstructionProposal
>
> I still wholly believe in the proposal and that it should be implemented.
> It contains a series of (potentially revertible) steps that in my mind will
> remove unnecessary overheads and get us to the philosophy of
> "Incubation yes; Incubator, no". The Incubator was a success, it's
> served its purpose. We should celebrate and move on.

An alternative to pro-actively deconstructing the Incubator might be to
try the direct-to-TLP approach on some new projects.  If this new
approach demonstrates a smoother path to TLP than traditional incubation
then new projects would prefer it and the Incubator would wither and die
a natural death.  We don't need a vote by the IPMC to try this.  Just
find a candidate project and bring a proposal to the board.

Doug