incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <>
Subject Re: Licence headers in template files
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 14:16:50 GMT
On 02/06/2012 02:44 PM, ant elder wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Franklin, Matthew B.
> <>  wrote:
>> I am sure you know this (especially since you first pointed me at this page), but
the release FAQ [1] makes it sound like you need the header, if you assume your templates
are source:
>>        Which Files Must Contain An ASF License Text?
>>        Every source file must contain the appropriate ASF License text.
>> I am no lawyer, so I will defer to someone who has more experience than me to help
you determine whether your snippets count as source.
> I think that is a bug in the Release FAQ. What i've been told in the
> past but which i can't find links to right now, is that the top level
> LICENSE file covers everything anyway and the individual license
> headers aren't strictly necessary especially for source files without
> significant IP.
Really? That then would be quite some 'bug' IMO.
I can't recall have heard it said like this before, instead confirmation of the
above rule quite often. Exceptions (no headers) only being allowed for sources
without real IP value.