incubator-general mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Syncope to Join the Apache Incubator
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 09:56:02 GMT
On 2/1/12 10:39 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 1 February 2012 09:06, Emmanuel Lecharny<elecharny@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 2/1/12 1:04 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>>> Dear Proposed Syncope mentors:
>>>
>>> Please post messages on this thread indicating your prior experience
>>> as mentors,
>> Does mentors have to have any experience ? Is this a new policy for being a
>> mentor on an incubator project, or something you just are interested in ?
> Personally I find the request for mentors to justify themselves in
> this way quite disturbing. I do understand what Benson is trying to
> address here, I just don't think this is the right way. We have not,
> to my knowledge, agreed any changes to the mentor role. All people
> currently able to mentor have been pre-approved by the IPMC. Frankly I
> find it distasteful expecting volunteers with good intentions to
> further justify themselves.
Same feeling here. This would raise a barrier that is most likely to
discourage potential mentors.

This is a meritocracy, those who already have gain access to the IPMC
have already proved themselves, and have qualified as potential mentors,
imho. Not to say that every ASF member will be good mentors, but the
reason we require that any podling have 3 mentors is just to mitigate
the risk that one of them is not fullfiling his duty.

Now, if we are to discuss the way incubator should be managed, then the
best is to start another thread.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,