incubator-general mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Sqoop podling from Apache Incubator
Date Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:10:32 GMT
Arvind,

(Sorry, I missed this discussion.)

On Feb 28, 2012, at 10:53 AM, Arvind Prabhakar wrote:

> Please see [1] for details on why the code is like this. The short
> summary is that binary compatibility requires us to respect all
> extension points within the code.
>
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SQOOP/Namespace+Migration

This might be prior to your involvement with Sqoop, but it was initially part of Apache Hadoop
MapReduce as a contrib module prior to being moved out to github.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hadoop/common/branches/branch-0.21-old/mapreduce/src/contrib/sqoop/

Thus, does the Sqoop community also plan to maintain back-compat with org.apache.hadoop.sqoop
namespace for older users too?

I can't seem to place whether we ever made Apache Hadoop releases which included Sqoop before
it got moved out...

Arun