incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Evolution instead of a revolution (Was: Time to vote the chair?)
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2012 18:36:04 GMT

On Feb 4, 2012, at 8:59 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> Ralph, I'm inclined to hair up the chart to distinguish 'podlings'
> from 'probationary projects'. Otherwise, fine. I'll do that.

I see from your latest updates that you still have the podlings requiring IPMC approval for
releases and new members. I suppose that works if are only in the incubator a few months but
I can easily imagine a project performing a few releases and still preferring to stay in the
incubator while they build community.  I'd really prefer to delegate these to the podlings,
subject to approval from their mentors and only involve the IPMC if they can't get the required
mentor approval.  IOW, the vote threads would take place on the podling lists and only the
results would be published to the IPMC and the IPMC would use a process similar to the board's
for approval (I believe the new process is a 72 hr wait with an implied ack upon receipt).

What about the current requirement that mentors be members of the IPMC?  Personally, I don't
see the value of that, especially for ASF members.  The IPMC should be made up of people who
care about the incubator as a whole, not just specific podlings.

Ralph