incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Licence headers in template files
Date Mon, 06 Feb 2012 18:30:28 GMT

I added comments to the JIRA:

Reading the examples provided gives me the idea that there is little
creativity. Most of the content is required by the xml formatting
rules. Look at the files after removing the xml: result collapsible ID
TITLE detail.

That said, the rule is absolute. I'd prefer to have as policy a rule
that changes:

"A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal
elements or its structure is not protected by copyright law;
therefore, such a file does not require a license header. If in doubt
about the extent of the file's creativity, add the license header to
the file."

to:

"A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal
elements or its structure is not protected by copyright law;
therefore, such a file does not require a license header. Small files
without significant creativity may omit the license if the license is
more text than the source itself. If in doubt about the extent of the
file's creativity, add the license header to the file."

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com