incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Incubator, or "Incubation"?
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 01:13:54 GMT
On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 12:52:33AM +0100, Leo Simons wrote:
> The basic idea is to split the current single really big group that is
> the incubator into smaller groups that still cooperate and discuss and
> whatnot, but are accountable and overseen separately. These smaller
> groups become their own committees with their own VPs that report to
> the Board.
>
> Is that a reasonable re-statement of the abstract idea? Is that
> something we can all get behind?

Completing such a task will be a lot of work, and who knows what complications
and disagreements lie ahead?  We have an incremental solution in front of us
which mitigates some of our most pressing problems: the measured expansion of
Joe Schaefer's successful "experiment" to add PPMC Members who have
demonstrated a thorough understanding of the Apache Way to the IPMC.

I don't support this boil-the-ocean revamp if it blocks the less ambitious
reforms.  An indefinite period where release votes continue to drag on for
weeks is unacceptable.

Marvin Humphrey