incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: principles of Apache communities
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2012 06:08:32 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Here are some of the things that guide me in my decision-
> making about governance and Apache communities.  Please
> feel to add you own thoughts on the subject!
>
> 1) Fairness and Equitable Treatment- that it is wrong to apply
> different standards to different people based solely on their
> (external) accrued status.
>
> 2) Tolerance- that we respect the diversity of opinion without
> the need for tit-for-tat arguments about who is "right".
>
> 3) Fun- that the nature of participation here is personally
> satisfying and not onerous.
>
> 4) Consistency- that we don't apply different standards to
> different people based on whatever hot topic is currently being
> debated.
>
> 5) Competence- that we entrust people who are most familiar with
> the work being performed to exercise their oversight and judgement
> about the codebase.
>
> 6) Empowerment- that people who show sustained levels of competence
> and oversight capabilities are rewarded with higher levels of
> organizational responsibility.
>
> [more later]

Good stuff.

For ages i have wanted to add a page somewhere that explains
very clearly "principles and constraints" for the ASF.
Alas little time and none now.

The research that i was able to manage was to find a post
where Roy explained:

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006
Subject: Re: [Request For Comment] Third-Party Licensing Policy
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200603.mbox/%3CAF1860B6-A15E-4E8F-9CF9-F11ED8C756CA@gbiv.com%3E