incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Kato status (Was: Actively retiring projects)
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 12:37:56 GMT
Hi,

There seems to be some people assuming that the IPMC wants to
terminate the Kato podling. Looking back I wonder if my original
status review was the source of this:

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:36 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> 2008-11-06 Kato
>
> S: Zero activity.
> R: Terminate.

This was based on looking at commit and kato-dev@ list activity, both
zero or very low for an extended amount of time. There was no recent
status report.

Now, as has been pointed out, the project is facing some unique
constraints that I wasn't aware of. Thus I followed up:

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> The status of Kato (in relation to Oracle's actions) is being
> evaluated. Ant is helping the community.

Based on the thread at [1]. The resulting status report [2] suggests
that before the next report the community should "decide in what form
the podling should continue, if at all".

As far as I'm concerned, that's a reasonable step forward. I'm looking
forward to seeing a followup discussion about this on kato-dev@. The
results should be summarized as an action plan in the next status
report.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/rmdhe57r4gpxq3t7
[2] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/January2012

BR,