incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Small but otherwise happy podlings
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 12:46:33 GMT
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 5:28 AM, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>>> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>>> Sam,
>>>>
>>>> Rather than argue about the existence and interpretation of messages
>>>> about squashing stale podlings, how about this adjustment to my
>>>> presentation:
>>>>
>>>> 1. OK, let's forget about dumping aged podlings
>>>
>>> We have quite a number of "aged podlings" with no activity and AWOL
>>> mentors.  I don't want to forget about that.  I continue to want to
>>> focus on that.  Not on tossing, or allowing to continue indefinitely,
>>> or graduating prematurely.  Instead I want to verify that the people
>>> who signed on as mentors, presumably in good faith at that time, are
>>> still on board.
>>
>> Sam,
>>
>> I started this separate thread because I view this situation as
>> distinctive from the problem you are referring to here. I take that
>> situation just as seriously as you do, I think. If you'd prefer that I
>> drop this (less urgent) problem until that one is under control. I'm
>> happy to do so.
>>
>>>
>>>> 2. The third option I presented was 'graduate with an asterix'.
>>>> However, I didn't really intend to claim that no other possibilities
>>>> existed. Another possibility is 'remain under the supervision of the
>>>> incubator PMC but with more autonomy.' I could elaborate, but I'd
>>>> rather see if there is a remote consensus to go in any direction like
>>>> this.
>>>
>>> You want to see if people will agree to sign a blank check?  My
>>> suggestion is that you present a more concrete proposal than "more
>>> autonomy" if you want people to agree to it.
>>
>> No, I'm not asking for a blank check. I'm asking you and the other
>> more experienced people if you think that the idea of treating
>> Isis-like podlings differently from other podlings by giving them more
>> autonomy and less oversight makes any sense to you. If you all say,
>> 'no, we don't want to change anything,' I'll drop it. If you say 'hmm,
>> let's talk details,' then I'll attempt to flesh out details. However,
>> since your bottom line is 'make a more concrete proposal,' then I
>> will, but I will wait a bit to see if this thread attracts any other
>> thoughts about the overall concept first.
>>
>
> Hi Benson,
>
> I don't know about the more autonomy proposal but I had a quick look
> at Isis. If they've never added any new committers thats a worry but
> other than that they seem to meet all the other graduation
> requirements. Do you or the other mentors have any feel for why
> they've not added any new committers - are they over protective of
> their code or have they really just had no one ever come along
> offering patches or anything?

As far as I've been able to determine, no one has come along.


>
>   ...ant
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message