incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Dan Haywood <...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
Subject Re: Small but otherwise happy podlings
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:25:51 GMT
I'm one of the main committers on Isis.

I'm +1 on Mark's ideas here, and we have several ideas to better position
Isis within the JEE landscape.

Related to the discussion, we're working on our next release 0.2.0 which
will also improve our website and marketing.  We're also kicking off having
at least 2 regular bloggers (myself and Kevin Meyer) putting out posts
about Isis.

As for Isis graduating, I feel it would be premature until we've
demonstrated that we can recruit at least one new committer.  But I also
feel that's just a matter of time until we do that, nothing more.

Dan


On 9 January 2012 14:16, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de> wrote:

> I'm actively mentoring Isis.
>
> With having bval out of incubation I will also find a bit more time to
> review the bits and pieces a bit better.
>
>
> Isis really has a pretty active community and we have quite some users
> coming along.
>
> It would maybe make sense to shift direction a bit from a pure
> NakedObjects framework to a more EE6 extensible framework.
> That might attract new interest. Being kind of a 4GL framework might not
> be that sexy nowadays, so we might spice this up with EE6 extensibility.
> Will discuss this with the project in the coming days.
>

fwiw, I have




>
> LieGrue,
> strub
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> > From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
> > To: general@incubator.apache.org
> > Cc:
> > Sent: Monday, January 9, 2012 2:10 PM
> > Subject: Re: Small but otherwise happy podlings
> >
> > On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >>  Sam,
> >>
> >>  I started this separate thread because I view this situation as
> >>  distinctive from the problem you are referring to here. I take that
> >>  situation just as seriously as you do, I think. If you'd prefer that I
> >>  drop this (less urgent) problem until that one is under control. I'm
> >>  happy to do so.
> >
> > It is fair enough statement that not all of us need to work on what I
> > happen to think is most urgent.  This statement is true even if we
> > might happen to agree on the relative priorities.
> >
> > I will merely point out that your suggestion is at least mildly at
> > cross purposes to the issue that I want addressed.  One of my concerns
> > is that there are a number of podlings that are comfortably nestled in
> > with no need to graduate.  However, that is by no means my biggest
> > concern, which is the silent attrition rate of mentors.  In the case
> > of Isis, I am fully prepared to accept that that podling has at least
> > one active mentor.
> >
> >>  No, I'm not asking for a blank check. I'm asking you and the other
> >>  more experienced people if you think that the idea of treating
> >>  Isis-like podlings differently from other podlings by giving them more
> >>  autonomy and less oversight makes any sense to you. If you all say,
> >>  'no, we don't want to change anything,' I'll drop it. If
> > you say 'hmm,
> >>  let's talk details,' then I'll attempt to flesh out details.
> > However,
> >>  since your bottom line is 'make a more concrete proposal,' then I
> >>  will, but I will wait a bit to see if this thread attracts any other
> >>  thoughts about the overall concept first.
> >
> > You previously mentioned that there might be incubator requirements
> > that are burdensome on mentors.  Identifying those and ways to address
> > them are things that I could definitely support.
> >
> > Looking specifically at Isis, the last report[1] to the board contained:
> >
> >     Top 3 Issues to address in move towards graduation
> >
> >     * More blogging/publicity from existing community...
> >     * More users of the framework...
> >     * More committers to the framework
> >
> > The latter might be a concern.  The first two however are not direct
> > concerns.  At most, they are indirect: i.e., ways to attract
> > committers.  Looking at the incubator page[2], I see more than three
> > committers, and in fact four of them are ASF members.  If at least one
> > of these ASF members intends is willing to continue on the PMC, and
> > the lack of committers were the only issue, then I would be
> > comfortable with this podling graduating.
> >
> > - Sam Ruby
> >
> > [1]
> >
> http://apache.org/foundation/records/minutes/2011/board_minutes_2011_10_26.txt
> > [2] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/isis.html
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
> > For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
> >
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message