incubator-general mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <>
Subject Re: Actively retiring projects
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 11:46:01 GMT
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Sam Ruby <> wrote:

> 20 Jul 2011:
>  ensure that long running incubating projects actually have a plausible
>  plan to graduate

Thanks - I see now that the pressure for Mentors to active against
their best judgment of the interests of the Foundation comes from the
board. Apologies for misunderstanding.

Projects like Cassandra, River etc get to about 80% of graduation and
then find they need time and space to made the last 20%. Looks bad on
the plan but for a minority of projects, it happens. Sometimes legal,
brand or incubation policy needs to be developed. This often takes
months. Sometimes an external factor beyond the control of the
community stops development for a period. These sorts of unknown are
hard to plan for. Sometimes it takes a while for a community to
self-organising or discover its identity and enough active developers.
Imposing a plan is particularly delicate in this situation.

Have we done a good enough job of making sure the Board understands
the negative consequences of publicly terminating active communities
who find themselves in one of these situations?

Trusting the community and Mentors has worked well in the past. Does
anyone have any insight into the problem that the Board thinks it's
fixing by this?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message