incubator-general mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Actively retiring projects
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 11:05:05 GMT
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On 16 January 2012 09:31, Robert Burrell Donkin

<snip>

>> The right way to discipline Mentors is to remove them from the IPMC.
>> I've started a thread on private. Threatening to terminate their
>> podlings just muddies the waters.
>
> We are *not* talking about disciplining mentors we are talking about
> helping them do a better job or, if they are inactive, recognising
> this and helping the podling find the mentoring they need. It is about
> feedback loops, not about big sticks.

The line beyond constructive feedback was passed long ago in these
discussions. There are clearly two strongly held but incompatible
views on the nature of Mentoring and governance at Apache. Either find
constructive ways to blend them, or remove the destructive minority.

I believe in community led development, and that community building is
an art that requires judgment not a science that can be planned.

I back Ant and the Mentors who allowed River, Cassandra etc the space
they needed to find and build their communities. I stand by our
decision to allow Kato time to try to resolve it's external problems.
I have not been persuaded that I'm wrong but I'm no longer will to
argue. Either accept my minority opinion or remove my karma.

I do understand now that there is a majority who are frustrated with
the poor quality of our reporting. I'm frustrated too.

Robert