incubator-general mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Actively retiring projects
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 09:05:01 GMT
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 8:43 AM, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Projects like PDFBox
>> or River are living examples of how active mentoring can turn around
>> the fortunes of a project.
>>

> I'm sure the mentoring was ace but a large amount of why River turned
> around was down to its participants, without them and what they did no
> amount of mentoring would have fixed it.
>
> River incubated for four and a half years, and during that time had
> quite some "nothing much going on" type reports.
>
> If some of the recent suggestion were actual Incubator policy River
> would be at GitHub.
>
>   ...ant

And following up on that, along with River taking four and a half
years you can see all the projects that have graduated from the
Incubator listed here: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/#graduate

All of the ones on the first page incubated for longer than one year.

>From quick scan through the dates a lot of projects took longer than
one year, many much longer. I am quite willing to entertain the notion
that we should improve the processes and policies at the Incubator, do
a better job of helping poddlings, be more proactive with graduating
poddlings, or what ever else is being suggested but, picking out just
a few well known ones...

ActiveMQ, Cassandra, CXF, Felix, Harmony

Are people seriously suggesting that the ASF would be better off had
we terminated those poddlings just because some time period of
incubation had passed?

  ...ant