incubator-general mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Actively retiring projects
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2012 10:49:44 GMT
On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 12:37 AM, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
>> Sam,
>>
>>> My personal perspective is that incubation shouldn't generally take more than
a year.

>> The problem is with small communities.  What do you suggest with projects that are
functional, but just barely have a critical mass, or not quite even?

>>> my feeling is that there needs to be an expectation that a podling
>>> produces AT THE VERY MINIMUM a credible plan that they are executing
>>> on which will lead to graduation at some point.
>>
>> Many of them say that they need to grow their community.  What do you suggest they
do while trying?  Do we simply call them done after 365 days?

> I'm asking two things of the Incubator: (a) police the lack of
> attention by mentors on projects
> that have been incubating for years, and (b) setting the expectation
> that a podling produces AT THE VERY MINIMUM a credible plan that they
> are executing on which will lead to graduation at some point.

There are several poddlings I watch that are more than a year old and
don't have even three active committers. Their undocumented plan is
hang around doing day to day dev and occasional bits of publicity and
poddling promotion hoping some more people come along to help and get
the numbers up high enough to graduate.

I accept there might be some poddlings where the mentors are AWOL but
most of the ones I know of the mentors are actually paying attention
but there is only so much mentors can do if the poddling isn't very
active.

Sam, from your comments I take it that you think the Incubator should
be doing more in those situations, what else should we do with those
type of poddlings? It seems harsh to terminate the poddling,
conversely it doesn't seem right to just lower the bar after a year
and graduate them anyway.

   ...ant