incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Q. Forks without concensus?; A. anytime / depends / never without agreement
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2012 16:05:37 GMT
On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> On Jan 6, 2012, at 8:17 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>> The ASF is not about code; it is about community.  If a community forks, or otherwise
emerges around a codebase, we are not accepting the CODE: we are accepting the COMMUNITY.

>> And it seems to me that if we are to say that a COMMUNITZY is not permitted to participate
despite use of code that is perfectly proper according to the license, then we are beggaring
out own license, the whole point of which is to permit forks, and to prevent a sole copyright
holder from assuming control over the community.

>> If a corporation were to create an ASF-licensed codebase, and later decide to "take
back" control, would we refuse a COMMUNITY-based project based on that codebase?

> The answer to that is yes. It has happened.

As always, the answer is a bit more subtle than that.

More typically, what happens is somebody asks a few questions.

Then the people who were pushing the idea realize that that they don't
have answers.

A bit of time passes.

Then those who were originally pushing the idea state that they
weren't allowed because some unnamed "they" wouldn't let them.

> Ralph

- Sam Ruby