incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Bloodhound to join the Incubator
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2012 09:18:09 GMT
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2012, at 12:02 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
>> ...I'm saying that the *ASF* should avoid judging. We allow competition among
>> projects. We accept projects with hard problems and low chances of success.
>> We accept projects that some don't want us to. We should not judge. We
>> should provide a home to communities that want to be here.
>
> I have no problem with competition among projects and everything else you say in the
paragraph above. The only issue I have is that we can't take some other project's code and
use it as the basis for a project here if the original project objects.  It still isn't clear
to me what the consensus is at Trac, but it certainly isn't overwhelmingly in favor...

I agree that we don't want to support an unfriendly fork of Trac in
Bloodhound, but as you say there doesn't seem to be an official
consensus from the Trac project about this.

IMO the best way of coming to closure on this issue is for the Trac
community (as a whole) to state whether they agree with Bloodhound
forking whatever they are planning to fork or not. Getting that
agreement would, again IMO, be a condition for Bloodhound to graduate.

-Bertrand