incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Actively retiring projects (was: Incubator Board Report November 2011)
Date Mon, 09 Jan 2012 16:42:15 GMT
Since this thread has come back to life, I read through it and have
one comment to add:

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 20:27, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can see two problems with this view to begin with. One is IP
> management. The more people participate in a project and the longer
> they do so, the messier it becomes to track provenance and get ICLAs
> from all of the contributors. One almost wishes that the ASF could
> accept ICLAs and code grants for code that is in fact living somewhere
> else. I'm sure someone will tell me why that idea is nuts.

Actually, the ASF doesn't vette *why* an ICLA is being filed. It
simply takes it and records it.

The serf project[*] requires all committers to sign an ICLA with the
ASF before receiving access. This way, should we ever want to move the
project to the ASF, we have all commits already covered under an ICLA.
While the project would still hit the Incubator, its IP clearance
would be done on Day One.

Cheers,
-g

[*] http://code.google.com/p/serf/ ... serf/ASF history at